In 2022/2023 we start with four new interdisciplinary thesis labs.
The conditions for enrolment 22/23 are:
- We only admit students from Leiden University, Delft University of Technology or Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- In each lab we look for all kinds of expertise. For example: natural sciences, social sciences, engineering, design, law, health, economics, management, humanities, philosophy, etc.
- At least, you work on your master thesis between February and July 2023. The size of your thesis is between 10 to 60 EC. You start your thesis (preparation) somewhere between October 2022 and April 2023.
- You find your own thesis supervisor(s). Supervision of your individual master thesis is not part of the LDE lab program.
- You are motivated to join the half year – extracurricular – interdisciplinary program and will attend all 12 bi-weekly in-person sessions. NOTE: the Lab on Sustainable Horticulture Agadir also includes an extra 9-days excursion between May 6 – 14, 2023, to Morocco. You will pay your own flight tickets to Morocco. All costs of travel, accommodation and meals in Morocco are covered. You only pay a contribution of €150,- for these costs.
- You agree with the workload of the program: approximately 60 hours in total (45 hours for the program + 15 hours extra work at home).
- At the end of the lab program in July 2023, you present (some) data, results and/or conclusions from your thesis. You agree to prepare and share with us the following deliverables:
- Individual thesis report (before November 2023 the latest);
- Poster with key takeaways of your thesis (homework for session #12 final presentation);
- Interdisciplinary result (you will create this with your lab team during session #10 and #11 of the program);
- Two newsletters for the case holder(s) and other stakeholders (you will make these newsletters with your Lab team as homework);
- LDE CfS communicates about the Labs via Lablogs on our website. We will ask some students for an interview.
The selection procedure 22/23 is as follows:
- Interested? Between September 29 and October 23, 2022, you can enroll. Note that a second round of applications has opened for all labs except for Sustainable Horticulture Agadir, and you can now apply for this lab until the 5th of December!
- We will let you know by email if you are invited to an interview.
- We organize online interviews of 20-25 minutes in the week of October 31 and November 4, 2022. The interviews are conducted by the academic coordinator of the lab (LDE researcher) and LDE Centre for Sustainability hub coordinator.
- During the interviews, we will discuss:
- Your motivation: why do you want to join the Lab? Are you ready to commit to the lab program and to the extra work it requires? Will you be an active member of the interdisciplinary lab group?
- The assignment you’re applying for: does the assignment you’re applying for fit your curriculum? Do you already have ideas of what you would like to research in your thesis?
- Can we make an interdisciplinary team? We are looking for a team consisting of multiple LDE master programs.
- We will let you know if you are selected by email in the week of November 7 and November 11, 2022.
- If you are selected, we ask you to find a thesis supervisor (if you haven’t already found one already). We also match you with the external case holder of the thesis assignment. Together with this case holder, your thesis supervisor and us you can start finetune your thesis assignment.
- In January 2023, we organize a short online meeting together with all the other Lab students, to get to know each other and ask questions. The Lab Program 2023 will start on February 8, 2023.
Applications have closed, it is not possible to enrol for the Interdisciplinary Thesis Labs 22/23 anymore!