Apply now for the Interdisciplinary Thesis Labs!
We are looking for LDE master thesis students from a large variety of study programs.
You can apply till November 14, 2021.
We already had a first application round. Since we are looking for a large variety of study programs, you can still apply.
What are Interdisciplinary Thesis Labs?
Together with a team of 9 Leiden-Delft-Erasmus universities students you work on a sustainability challenge set by an external organization. You work on your individual thesis and follow a half year lab program between February and July 2022. In 12 bi-weekly sessions you gain insight into the interdisciplinary context of the challenge and how you can contribute to this challenge as a young leader. You meet commissioner(s), guest speakers and relevant experts, follow workshops, join a thesis group and create an interdisciplinary result together.The lab is supervised by an LDE-researcher. After participating in the lab you will receive a certificate of participation.
In academic year 2021-2022 the following labs will be starting:
Click image to learn more about the lab(s) you are interested in.
I want to participate! How can I apply?
- Check out the topics of the labs and the program (see below) we offer and pick your favorite(s). You can apply for max. 2 labs a person.
- Fill out the application form before November 14, 2021.
- Share with us: your motivation, in which lab you want to participate and what you want to research in your master thesis.
- Between November 15 and November 26, 2021, we will select the final teams. In the selection procedure we will look at:
- 1) your motivation: specify why you want to join this lab and what you want to get out of the interdisciplinary collaboration
- 2) your first thesis idea; and
- 3) how we can make an interdisciplinary team with students from different study backgrounds
- We invite a selection of students for an interview on November 23 or 24, 2021.
- On November 26, 2021 we will let you know by email if you are selected for a lab.
- We expect that you are able to join the lectures and workshops in the joint program if you are selected.
Requirements for participation
- We only admit students from Leiden University, Delft University of Technology or Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- We look for all kinds of expertise e.g. natural sciences, social sciences, engineering, design, law, health, economics, management, humanities and philosophy.
- You start your master thesis between February and April 2022. The size of your thesis is between 16 to 45 EC.
- You will find your own thesis supervisor(s). Supervision of your individual master thesis is not part of the program.
- You are motivated to join the half year interdisciplinary program and will attend all 12 bi-weekly sessions. Find the preview of the program attached below.
- You agree with the workload of the program: approximately 2 EC (56 hours). You are free to arrange credits for the program yourself (as a capita selecta) or follow the program as an extracurricular activity.